Saturday, November 27, 2010

Kite Runner: Reflection

     In the book, The Kite Runner , By Khaled Hosseini , is a historical fiction novel that he tells of his life in Kabul. Amir writes about how his life and major events that impact it.  Amir has redemptions of his past and everything seems to go from good to bad all the way. Relationships help give out attitude and appel to conflicts that intensify the plot and the journey through Amir's life. The interactions with characters revolve a lot around Amir who is the main character, Hassan, and Baba. Hassan has a major part in the role of Amir's life since he is his servant and they have known each other since they were born. Baba is Amirs father who makes Amir the man who he turned out to be.
      
      A very important relationship that Amir has in the story is with his dad, Baba. My view of Baba is a tall and strong man. From the way he deals with conflicts i the story he is a bit hard headed and bold. But, Amir seems to see problems in his relationship with his dad throughout the story.
''I always felt like Baba hated me a little.And why not? I had killed his beloved wife... The least I could have done was to have had the decency to have turned out a little more like him. But, I hadn't turned out like him. Not at all.'' (19)
Amir thinks that his dad hates him a little because his wife died when he gave birth to Amir, and because Baba does not approve of the way Amir is.
'' I wasn't like that.'' Baba sounded frustrated, almost angry. Rahim Khan laughed. '' Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors.'' (21)
     In this quote Baba did not like how Amir acted. Amir was always reading and getting pushed around by the other kids.  It was almost as if  Baba wanted Amir to be a real man and take things like a man, like Baba did. Baba's acceptance as a father cannot be recognized by Amir so easily as he would like to.Baba can be a hard person to get soft hearted but he cares a lot about Amir. Baba is just trying hard to have a good impact and be a good role model for Amir and tries not to let his pride take away from it.
''Then a smile played on my father's lips. He opened his arms. I put the kite down and walked into his thick hairy arms. I buried my face in the warmth of his chest and wept. Baba held me close to him, rocking me back and forth. In is arms, I forgot what I'd done. And that was good.''
Baba also shows compassion and care for Amir. Baba was really proud of Amir for winning the kite tournament. Amir just wants his dad love to show ad they both have a hard time showing it, but it shows with the accomplishments they encounter. This relationship really made a difference at the end of the book, when Baba and Amir moved to the US. Baba had an illness and dies, which took a big toll in Amir's life. Though it all Baba and Amir's relation to each other makes the son and father love contribute to the defensive and life changing experiences that exploit the book into a hard life plot.


  Amir ans Hassans' relationship is also very interesting in the book. I question I kept asking myself throughout the entire time I read it was, Did Amir and Hassan really have a true relationship?
''How can you call him your ''friend''?
''But he's not my friend! I almost blurted. He's my servant! Had I really thought that? Of course I haden't. I haden't. I treated Hassan well, just like a friend, better even, more like a brother. But if so, then why, when Baba's friends came to visit with their kids, didn't I  ever include Hassan in our games? Why did I play with Hassan only when no one else was around?'' (41)
Here, Amir was being bullied by Assef, a bully who hates them. Amir seemed to have gotten embarrassed and hurt my Assef's crude jokes. Here, Amir even admits that they aren't friends and gives an example of how he treated Hassan. I find that Hassan has been a better friend to Amir than Amir will be to anyone else. But, I also stop to think if Hassan really considered Amir to be his friend as well. Did Hassan just hang out with Amir because he was the servant and had to obey or because he had no one else to hag out with? This question was also fought with Hassans loyalty to Amir.
 He turned to me. A few sweat beads rolled from his bald scalp. ''Would I ever lie to you, Amir agha?'' Suddenly I decided to toy with him a little. '' I don't know. Would you?'' ''I'd sooner eat dirt,'' he said with a look of indignation. '' Really? You'd do that?'' He threw me a puzzles look. '' Do what?''''Eat dirt if I told you to, '' I said. I knew I was being cruel like when I'd taunt him if he didn't know some big word... ''But I wonder,'' he added. ''Would you ever ask me to do such a thing, Amir agah?'' And, just like that, he had thrown me at his own little test. If I was going to toy with him and challenge hi for his loyalty, then he'd toy with me, test my integrity. I wished I haden't started this conversation. I forced a smile. '' Don't be stupid, Hassan. You know I wouldn't'' Hassan returned the  smile. Except his didn't look forced. '' I know,'' he said.(55)
Amir seems to have a jealousy for Hassan loyal companion to him. Hassan never fool around with Amir and would always do what he said, Amir turned his back on Hassan at the end and Hassan got raped by Assef for standing up for Amir. And did he tell anyone or get Amir in trouble? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what got me ticked of throughout the story. Why does Amir have to be so rude to Hassan? Hassan is already his servant and does everything for him. In the end Amir tries to solve his mistake of mistreating Hassan, but never does. I don't think Air ever knew how it really felt to treat a friend and right, so now he had to live with  that mistake in the back of his head.
   This novel is a never ending book of bad news and powerful, unforgetting story of a youg mans life. And, the relationships between the main characters are what drive the plot and makes the storys purpose reach out to the reader. It is a book of a hunting truth that is moving and extraordinary. This book is really good, AND I MEAN REALLY GOOD! I will never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment