Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Vignettes

Parties
We have many parties. Not the ones that most people go to with dining tables, music that you can't dance to and makes you sleepy.
No, we have fiestias.
I love going to them. Wearing my fancy clothes. My pink dress with the little black shoes my mom brought me for my birthday. " Te ves muy bonita" says my papa.
We arrive at our Tio Luis's house.
"Bienvenidos, entren"
The little house that is small like one of my barbie doll houses is packed with people.
Family, friends, and other strangers I do not know.
Children are running around crazy with their paletas in their hand dripping to the side.
Men turn on the TV to watch the end of the soccer game, all I hear is "gooooaaaaaalllllllll!"
Old mujeres are telling chismes about the neighborhood drama.
The vatos or cholos as I call are fixing their car, trying to please the cholas who are talking and laughing waiting for a nino to ask them to baillare.
There are colors everywhere that make up the Mexican themed scenery.
Yellow, Orange, Red, and my favorite hot pink.
Plates of comida fill the room with scents of agua de horchata and  tacos de carnitas on the grill.
Mariachi music makes the dance floor on the backyard. Couples dance to
I sit on a bench and  see the starry night.
Yes, this is the parties I go to.
Not the ones that most people go to with dining tables, music that you can't dance to and makes you sleepy.
No, we have fiestias.

Nombres
People mistake me for many things. They think I am a different person. I am mot.
They call me names, but I am a true person.
They don't know my life, I do.
I think of the things they tell me at night
I am in my bed and I can still here their voices.
My bed is filled with the tears I hold inside me.
Living in the hood, I know what it feels like.
Having beatings, hearing gunshots.
Its no that bad of a life, though.
You get used to it.
You learn to protect yourself.
I know my way around the streets.
Where to take my place and where to not.
But, people look at me as if I am strong.
I am not all that strong.
When I am alone I am different.
I am the real me.
A ll the beatings, names, and fights I had,
they take place in my heart.
I feel alone, without anything to depend on.
This is the real me.

Brothers
I have a brother.
Hair that bounces with every step he takes and the curls wave around his head.
His big brown eyes and long lashes, when he blinks it makes a new day.
The little clothes that fill his room, such tiny little shoes.
But, now he is big.
Growing faster as the days go on
He reminds me of myself, well almost.
funny and clumsy.
I know what it feels like to have a brother.
Annoying you every minute of the day.
Spying on you on, and
Eating your french fries when you turn around
But, I still like my brother.
I love him,
With is bouncy hair and his annoying self.
Yes, he's all right.

 A Little Chit Chat
A uncle doesn't talk that much.
"Hello" and "What are you doing?" is all his lines for the day.
With some occasional "thanks, how was your day, and where do you want to go or where are you going?"
I guess that is where a man takes place.
He comes home for dinner
Then goes back to doing his thing.
I guess that’s what it is.
Cars
There are many cars in my neighborhood.
Red cars, blue cars, and even lime green cars that you would think glow in the dark.
A Little Chit Chat
As I faced the window I heard the sound of a familiar car engine.
Oh no, my cousins.
They were visiting from LA
I never really liked them.
They always had new clothes, nice cars to drive in and they said they had their own rooms!
I sat waiting patiently for the time they would arrive.
" Hi, how are you?" They said entering.
My bother elbowed me to respond.
" Great, thanks, " I responded.
" Well now, I made some food lets go into the kitchen., oh take your cousins to your room while I prepare the food," my mother commanded.
"So, is this your room?" The one with the purple shirt asked.
" No I share with my brother", I responded, not wanting to.
"Oh, I see," she said looking around the room.
"Girls, dinner is ready," My mom called.
I felt relived, but still we did not finish the chit chat we had.
Maybe later, I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment